Thursday, November 03, 2005

Horsing Around

Last Tuesday was an important day in Australia, The Melbourne Cup -- the race that stops the nation. I decided to try to get into the spirit of things since I'm now a citizen. I tried hard, but found it difficult to get too excited about a bunch of horses. I don't think I'll ever reach the point where I'll wear an expensive dress, huge hat, and high heels to actually go to a race, however I did put $2 on a horse at the office sweepstakes. My horse came in last, which is good because there's a consolation prize. But he didn't actually make it across the finish line, being the only horse to not finish the race, so that according to the sweepstakes rules I didn't win anything. The damn horse should have been shot and dragged across the finish line. Oh well, I suspect it's at the glue factory by now.
Meanwhile, everyone loves the big winner (for the third time in a row!), Makybe Diva, (sounds a bit like Macabee) and some new parents have even named their daughters, born on Tuesday, Makybe. How awful is that, to be named after a horse.

No comments: