Thursday, November 10, 2005

Go Australia

A few days ago I was listening to Question Time at the Parliament on radio (there was nothing better to listen to) and I was thinking to myself how proud I am to be an Australian and to have leaders that are mostly smart, speak to the point, are polite, and get things done. I can't help but compare this to the Israeli Knesset where the politicians are rude and loud. That's when they bother to show up of course.

And then the next morning I heard the news of the police raids that narrowly averted a catastrophic terror attack here in Sydney and in Melbourne. Australia is lucky to have such good leaders, who are not afraid to do the right thing in face of harsh criticism.

I must say I was saddened, but not surprised to hear that a major terror attack was planned. I know that it's not a matter of if, but when, it will happen. When we moved here 4 years ago I thought it was wonderful to be able to live in a country where I can ride the bus without worrying about it being blown to bits by a suicide bomber. Now I don't take that for granted any more. Rather I feel like I did when I lived in Israel during the late 90s, when buses were being blown up quite a lot. You go to work and live your life and deal with it.

I just hope Australia doesn't have to learn how to deal with it, and all planned attacks will end like this one did.

In other good news, the terrorist responsible for the two Bali bombings suffered spontaneous combustion.

No comments: