Thursday, November 10, 2005

Le Riots

Usually I get pretty depressed when I hear the news, but lately I've found myself enjoying the news immensely.

I've had some guilt feelings about my reaction to the riots in France. I should feel bad about the violence, and I do feel bad that people are killed and injured. But I can't help giggling every time I hear about 700 more Citroens being torched, and the French intellectuals talking about how disadvantaged and misguided the poor youth are and how this is the only way they can express themselves etc etc ad nauseum.

I love reading all the advice that France is getting from the rest of the world.
France is eating the stew that it has been cooking for years.
The same France that has always coddled and supported Arab tyrants, that has nothing but venomous words for the US and its war on terror. The same France that wallowed in corruption in Saddam's Oil for Palaces scandal. The same France that sold Iraq not one, but two nuclear power plants. The same France that sends its heroic navy to blow up the Greenpeace boat. I could go on but I'm getting nauseated.

So it is with great satisfaction that I watch France burn, and its leaders hem and haw while riots spread.

It will be mighty interesting to see how this develops. Will the riots spread to the rest of Europe? I suspect they will at some point. Will France surrender to the Muslim Youth? Could be, could be.

In the meantime I can't help but be reminded of that Monty Python sketch with the Killer Cars being eaten by the giant mutant cat.

No comments: