Saturday, December 16, 2006

Greetings from Kazakhst... uhh, Israel

Shalom from the holy land.
Sorry for not posting earlier, but our accommodation doesn't have internet, so we have to use whatever we can get when we visit people. And since wifi doesn't really work well with my Linux, this isn't always easy.

Anyway, the flight went as well as 30 hours in a tin can could possible be. We are slowly getting over the jet lag.

I'm very happy to be here and I'm really enjoying it... My feelings for this country are always so strong, whether positive or negative, I can't be ambivalent. I love the landscape. I love the people (most of the time). I love the food. I love that I can call my high school friends after not seeing them for 3 years, and we can chat as if I had never left the country, and I know that they are closer friends than any I will ever have in Australia.
I love that my son gets to play with his cousins and everyone understands him when he speaks Hebrew.

The 'tzimmer' we are living in (sort of like a self-contained apartment) is in a small village. It's cute, but has its "charms": the window that doesn't close properly, the bathroom light that switches off when you take a shower, the fridge that freezes our food. But it's up in the mountains, surrounded by pine forests, with crisp clean air. Very relaxing, but it's hard to get used to living offline!

I have no idea how many photos I owe youse, so here are a few:

From the Sydney airport shops:



Our first plane:
and a Tel Aviv cat:

And a note to my internet friends who I promised to call: I promise to call this weekend!

2 comments:

yudit said...

mmm. is kangaroo jerky what i think it is???

Mama Wombat said...

I'm afraid so. But it's only for tourists... although you can find kangaroo and crocodile steaks at some restaurants.