Sunday, May 21, 2006

Next Year in Jerusalem

So a while ago I was reading through the automated emails that I get from the research office with scholarships, postdoc positions, and all that. And something caught my eye: a scholarship for exchange programs between my uni and the Hebrew uni in Jerusalem. They had postponed the deadline for application submissions, probably cause there aren't too many people lining up for a free ticket to Israel. So I applied.
And I got it!
They will pay for my airfare and accommodation... and I get to do some work in collaboration with Hebrew uni which is by far the best uni in Israel.
We're planning to fly on Christmas day, hoping for a less-than-full plane (at least for the first leg).
By then it will have been nearly 3 years since we visited.
I'm not looking forward to such a long flight with a toddler, but I am excited about seeing family and friends, and having junior spend time with his grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins. And seeing all my old friends. My Sydney friends are nowhere near as close as my friends from high school whom I barely saw in the last decade. That's the way it is.
But I'm also excited to see what it's like to work in an Israeli uni. I have very little experience working in Israel in an "adult" job (ie not babysitting and fast food work). After all, we left very shortly after finishing the army and hadn't had much chance to really live there as, you know, adults.
So it will be an interesting experience....
And if I get a paper published to boot, then that makes it all the more worthwhile.

No comments: