Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Happy Birthday Israel!

I was reflecting yesterday on the differences between the memorial days of my three countries.
When I moved to the US I was quite surprised that Memorial Day is not really about remembering those who gave their lives in the defense of the country, but rather a day of shopping and sales and barbecues. It really made me feel that I was, indeed, in a different country. I couldn't understand it (and I still can't), but it was nice to be living in a place where most people are quite removed from war and loss.
What a contrast to Israel's Yom Hazikaron, which affects everyone in a very direct way, simply because virtually everyone knows someone who lost their life.
Anzac Day was recently commemorated here. Australians are not as directly affected as Israelis are, but still they do not treat the day as a shopping spree. There are dawn services, and interesting documentaries, and parades. People share a sense of pride in the sacrifices and achievements of their soldiers.

No comments: