Friday, March 10, 2006

Cholent Woes

For the first time in my life, I agreed to hire a cleaner. I've always been against it but since I decided to try and relax more, the house started to get really dirty. I just don't have the time or energy to clean the house. So we hired cleaners to come in every other week. It's expensive but worth every penny. Except....
The cleaner got a bit too enthusiastic with the outside of the oven and erased all the marks on the controls! So now I have no idea how hot the oven is. I suspect this will make baking a problem. It's already caused me to mess up a cholent.
Now, cholent is hard to mess up. Even a vegetarian one. You put everything in a big pot (potatoes, beans, pearl barley, yams, eggs, spice), cover it with boiling water, and stick it in the oven on low temperature for 8-14 hours. How many hours? It doesn't really matter. It's done whenever it's done.
But this time, I suppose I set the oven temperature to way too low, because when I opened the lid after about 12 hours it was still full of water and not really cooked well. I was flabbergasted. I actually had to finish cooking it on stove because that was dinner and I couldn't bother to cook anything else.
It just doesn't taste the same now. The eggs are cooked, but not brown. It's just not the same. Oh the shame...

No comments: