Friday, September 09, 2005

Skirts

Last week I went on a shopping frenzy and bought 4 new skirts. They are flooding the shops and look to be the #1 fashion item of the summer. Long, hippie skirts are sure better than how-low-can-you-go hipsters which I am so tired of. So I bought these skirts and they have been hanging in my closet for a week, and today was actually warm enough that I thought I'd wear one. Then I remembered why I haven't worn a skirt in years. It's impossible to find a top that goes with it. Any shirt looks good with jeans, but hardly anything goes with a skirt. Then there are the shoes. You can't wear normal shoes with socks cause that looks geeky. And I don't have those really high boots that go with skirts, and it's too cold for sandals. I ended up fishing a pair of girlie shoes from my closet that I haven't worn in years. I bought them once to go with a dress I wore for the company Christmas party. So I wore them, and my mom sees me and says that I look girlie. My son sees me and is shocked by the skirt and goes about exploring it. Then the teacher at day care said that I look girlie. grrrrr....
And I thought I look like a dossit.
That's the main reason I never wore skirts of course, back in the good old days when I was young if you wore a skirt it had to be super short and tight, just to make sure nobody suspected for an instant that you were a dossit (=religious).
But in Australia, of course, nobody know what a dossit is (well, maybe in Bondi) and women can wear whatever they want.
But there's something quite fun about having all that ventilation... it will be nice in the summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about knee length skirts? That's all I wear skirtwise. No one ever suspected I was a dossit, thanks to the cleavage I accessorise with.