Monday, September 05, 2005

New Orleans

I didn't want to write anything about what's going on in New Orleans. What's to say that hasn't been said? But it has been on my mind on so many levels. Why did people stay there and not evacuate? Why was help so slow to arrive? But most of all I am sad and disappointed at the human response to disaster. I would like to think that most people would respond by helping all the can, not by looting, raping and murdering others. I suppose that the media report the bad stuff because it's sensational, and I'm sure that there's a lot of good will but it's just not being reported as much because it's not news. But still, the lawlessness is sickening.
I keep wondering what I would do if disaster struck and all the civilisation around me that I take for granted disappeared. How would I protect myself and my family? It's hard to imagine a world like that. It reminds me of Fahrenheit 451, where some of the people run off to live in the hills. Also reminds me of Noah's Ark. That flood was supposed to wipe out the evil so that a new society could start. It looks like in New Orleans the evil ones survived the flood.

No comments: