Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Go VSU

I work at an Australian university and I support the Liberal party on most issues. This means that I'm part of the majority in Australia (whew), but considered a weird right-wing fascist pariah in my workplace. Most of the students and staff don't exactly share my political opinions. That's fine, people can have whatever opinions they want and I have no problem with that. I try not to get into any political discussions though, just to keep things comfortable.
The big issue on campus now is VSU, voluntary student unionism. The government wants to pass a law that will stop universities forcing students to join the student union and pay compusory fees. The students, for some reason, are vocally against this. They want to continue to force everyone to pay them fees. They say that this will keep things like discounted food, childcare, and other services available for students. It will also allow lots of people to continue making all sorts of political statements (invariably anti Howard, Bush, America etc.) while getting conveniently paid.
I can't wait for this VSU bill to pass already, I'm so sick of seeing their posters and protests and slogans written in chalk on the sidewalk proclaiming the end of civilisation if students are allowed to choose whether to join the union or not. Don't they have classes to go to, or papers to write?
Even the Labor Party agrees that forcing people to join a union is just wrong. (It's also against the international human rights treaty!)
On the other hand, stories like this about Australia's lefty teachers pushing their agenda on students really makes my blood boil.

No comments: